Friday 8 February 2008

February 8th

Friday night and I left school early (7 pm) to search for some shoes to use in the look book fashion shoot at my parents house....I didn't find them.  I spent the day hand stitching my coat for my first look (yes, I am all ready behind) and finalizing a pattern for a dress.

A brief introduction to me: I was born in New York where I have spent most of my life.  I trained as a professional ballet dancer until I was 20 but alas, my height got the better of me and I left Philadelphia where I was living to return home and get a job "with the least amount of responsibility possible."    Over the next few years I found myself as a sales assistant, hostess in a Mexican restaurant, accessories designer, a ballet teacher and again a dancer. Oh and I met Alex - my husband.  For many many reasons I decided to go back to school.  I laugh because at my interview the admissions lady said I would be well suited for the school because all my years of ballet training would prepare me for the strenuous workload at Parsons ( I thought she was joking.)  However, there are many similarities between the two.  Both are very hard work, quite subjective,  a wee bit competitive, and of course most of the guys are gay.

As far as my designs go, I like to look at the composition of my inspirations to create structural clothes with dynamic silhouettes that combine a modern sensibility with feminine and traditional details.  I tend to work with stiffer fabrics but I like to add handmade details or finishes to my pieces as well.  

No comments: